Easy Creamy Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
Although this does not taste like the the traditional mac ‘n cheese recipes most of us grew up with, it will satisfy your comfort food craving while helping you avoid preservatives, dyes, meat, and dairy. Stir in your favorite veggies and/or meatless filler and you’ve got yourself a satisfying meal. This recipe is very versatile; tweak ingredients to your liking!
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2/3 cup rice bran oil, divided
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch baking dish.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon rice bran oil.
Combine remaining rice bran oil, soy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, mustard, and paprika in a high-powered food processor or blender; blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour soy milk mixture over elbow macaroni in the bowl; toss to mix. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake in the preheated oven until center is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Substitute hemp or almond milk for the soy milk if desired.
- Substitute 1 1/2 tablespoon minced bottled garlic for the fresh garlic if desired.
- Add 1 teaspoon ground turmeric if you like a more orange color.
- If you prefer a crispy topping, bake uncovered.